Monday, September 3, 2007

California

One is struck by the agriculture. These lush plots of green who knows what. You see some crops being picked by crews of migrants. Spinach, lettuce, avacado orchards. Just quite beautiful to see. Then one is reminded of the immigration debate. The US through salutary neglect allowed all these folks into the country. And the crops have to be picked. Other work has to be done. And now we are letting the Mexican trucking industry have carte blanche. Let's get real. It's all part of the strategy towards a North American Union, ala, the EU. No one talks about it but it's a fait accompli. Houses are a riot. Stuff in Denver going for 300K at most is listing for twice that in California. I could have found some cheap rental stuff, though, and enjoyed a few years.

I'm also struck by how clean the highways are. And the courtesy of drivers. As I've occasionally lurched from one lane to another while taking a swig of Highland Stag scotch whiskey, no one has been discourteous. I suppose I might be able to buy some time with credit cards. But I don't know. The time is winding down. I've blown too much money. I don't know what I would do if I came back to Denver. No where to go. I wouldn't impose. Let's make a clean break. I've disappeared--probably what I've always wanted. No burdens, seemingly. Well, I've got to go. Great to find a FedEx in Santa Maria for 20 cents a minute. Holiday Inn Expresses have terminals for free when they can found.

No comments: